The in-laws are gone, and Tucson is once again ours. Goodness what a trying week. I have debated with myself whether or not I wanted to post about it, and I've decided I would rather my blog stay a (mostly) positive place. So, suffice it to say that we're glad they're back in Rhode Island, and that Tucson was sufficiently "different" (and therefore, in FIL's mind, BAD) that they will likely NOT be considering it as a new retirement destination.

To distract you from the fact that there's no real knitting to report on (alligator scarf IS done, but I haven't photo'd it yet), I'll just share yet more pictures of the desert.

The morning of day 1 of the visit was spent at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, one of our favorite places in Tucson (well, it, like us, is actually in Marana, I think). It's not really a museum, not really a zoo, not really a botanical garden, not really a wild animal park, but it has aspects of all of them and is internationally renowned in those circles. Anyhoo, some views of the day (oh, since all these are on Flickr, clicking on them will get you to the larger version):
Crown Saguaro at Desert Museum
A crown(ed?) saguaro that sits outside the entrance of the Museum. This is a small and not very spectacular specimen (for a great one, see here), but it is an interesting view of an odd mutation.

Century Plant Flowering
A "century plant" (agave) -- well, two really -- sending up its one flower. Agaves grow for many years (though probably not the 100 that gives them their nickname), storing up large quantities of sugar in their hearts; then, in one spectacular season, they send up these enormous blooms and then die. This one (on the left) is near or over 10' tall, but was only a nubbin when we moved here last October. The one on the right probably bloomed last year.

This little guy came out to say hi while we were sitting in the shade outside the hummingbird enclosure. I especially like how he was kind enough to sit in a spot of sunshine for his closeup.

I am especially proud of this photo, snapped just as the parrot turned his head. The museum (in addition to a hummingbird enclosure) has a walk-in aviary where you can get up close and personal with a lot of birds (and mice, and tarantulas). That's where this guy lives.

Daddy bighorn is always willing to pose for photos. By the time we got to this enclosure, the rest of the family was hiding in the shade -- hard to photograph.

This little squirrel just appeared at our feet as we were investigating the agave garden:
More agaves doing their once-in-a-lifetime blooming.

I call this guy "Buddha Prairie Dog". He was sharing his enclosure with the rest of the prairie dog family and this guy:
That's a roadrunner (beep! beep!).

Back at home now -- a couple days before the ILs arrived. This is one agitated Mommy and Daddy quail. Why?

Some horrible human was taking pictures of their babies. This one you might want to click on to go to Flickr where I've added notes showing where the (very well camouflaged) babies are (there are 5 of them).

Just a few pics, eh? I promise that now that life is somewhat back to normal, I will try to post regularly again. First up, finished photos of the alligator scarf.

Oh, and in exciting news, I've picked up some more sample/test knitting assignments. M's senior pastor thinks it's quite cool that I can get paid to knit.


1 comment:

Michelle F said...

Well I saw 4 of the babies! Enjoy reading your blog Sandy - I'm trying to find time to post on mine more often - especially since ther has been lots of knitting this past month!
I'll miss you and Marie at reunion!