The Freedom Marigolds are ALMOST done. Just two pattern repeats remain on #2 (the picture shows it about two repeats ago):

There is enough yarn on the ball that I could have started the second sock about the same place I started the first, but where would be the fun in that? Besides, if it's even a hair off and you've tried to make them match, it's even worse than just planning fraternal twins from the beginning. So these guys are fraternal by design. The second sock was started where the heel turned on the first sock. I like the look. Interestingly, though I had to excise six knots before I turned the heel on the first sock, I have only run into one knot since. Go figure.

I decided to just do a couple of garter ridges at the top rather than ribbing. It allows the top of the sock to be nice and loose, and for my calves, that's never a bad thing (I can never indulge in the SW passion for cowboy boots). The socks are a little large, but I figure I can either shrink them or give them to someone with bigger feet. We'll see.

And since I'm on the subject of modifications, the only other mod I made was to do a figure eight cast on for the toe rather than the short row toe called for in the pattern. I just cast on 28 stitches and worked increases every other round until I had 64 stitches. If I can avoid a provisional cast on I will.

I like this pattern a lot and will probably make more sometime, though probably not this summer. I have made a vow to myself not to repeat myself for Summer of Socks. Goodness knows I have enough sock patterns around here to keep me in unique patterns for many, many summers of socks.

In other news from the not-so-dry-anymore southwest, mere moments after I posted Thursday's post, we got hit with a pretty fantastic storm. Compared to the storms we will see in the coming weeks, it was a baby, but after months of dry, it was spectacular nonetheless. Poor M had to drive a colleague to the airport in it -- at one point it was raining (and hailing) so hard she had to pull over until it let up.

So, photographic proof that it rains in Tucson:

Oh, that oddly shaped hunk in the background? It's a quail block. Not, mind you, that many quail partake, but the sparrows, finches, and doves really like it, too. And it's a lot cheaper and less messy than loose bird seed.

Poor Lady B didn't know what to make of the excitement on Thursday. It's been so long since she's seen rain that I'm not sure she knew what it was. This is where she spent much of the afternoon:

K-man, on the other hand, spent the afternoon hiding from the thunder. Poor little guy doesn't know what he's in for this summer.

Mystery Project is proceeding. It has ceased (for now) giving me fits, which is always a good thing. Oh, and I made it in and out of Tucson Yarn with only the needles I needed. I'm proud of me.

No comments: