Where to Begin

Let's Start with Le Tour

It's been a weekend, and I'm really not sure where to start. But for the convenience of my TdFKAL team leaders, I'll start there.

Entrelac Sock

This entrelac sock (from the Vicky Starbuck pattern in Socks, Socks, Socks) was supposed to be my Tour de France KAL project, but it will be hitting the frog pond later today. Basically, I'm just not liking the way the colors are working out, and I don't want to deal with the fiddliness of entrelac all the while thinking "I really don't think I'll ever wear these". Make sense?

On a positive note, I figured out the entrelac -- and not just by following the pattern. Either the pattern in the book (or at least the edition I have here) has errors, or I just wasn't reading it correctly because after the setup triangles, it made no sense whatsoever to me. So I wound up looking at the picture in the book and making something that looks like that. Not sure if it was anything near what it was supposed to be, but it looks right and each diamond ended where the next was supposed to begin, so I can't have been that far off.

Not sure what will replace this as my TdF entry, but I'll hit the books later today to find something.

Independence Day

As the cats mentioned, M and I went to a ballgame with our friend Matt on Friday (an appropriate activity for the 4th of July, no?). We decided to make a day of it since we had to drive up to Phoenix, so we intended to check out Chino Bandido (as featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Network) for lunch. Yeah, well, apparently here in Arizona, Chinese restaurants DO close, and on national holidays, too. [Aside: I was amazed at how many things were closed on Friday, like all the bars around the ballpark -- on a game day -- when there are fireworks, and, no there isn't any law that they can't sell alcohol on national holidays like in some eastern states.]

So, we wound up at Rainforest Cafe for lunch. It was my first time, and it may be my last -- not much for all the sensory overload, though the food was good (chicken lettuce wraps).

The ball game was, well, so-so. D'backs played horribly and lost to the worst team in the league. The fireworks display was spectacular, though, and I love the fireworks setting on our new camera.

Fireworks July 4, 2008

As you can see from some of the photos, we were inside Chase Field for the fireworks. The roof was closed for the game (first indoor baseball game), and then we got to see it open (lickety split -- that baby's fast) for the fireworks show.

Rally Socks

While at the game, I started my third pair of Summer of Socks socks.

DSCN0254

Call it Rally Sock, though the D'backs did NOT oblige with another game-winning rally on the night. It's going to be a very simple slouch sock, based somewhat on the Slinky Socks by Rae Blackledge that were on MagKnits. These are toe-up, however, and will have a little bit of ribbing at the ankle before the alternating rows of stockinette and reverse stockinette start. Here is the sock as it is this morning:
DSCN0343


Don't Forget the Nanners

I finished Nanner #2 on the way to Phoenix on Friday, and of course I've moved on, so I was actually in danger of forgetting them. But here they are:

DSCN0340

Pattern: Nanner Socks by Wendy Johnson, exclusive pattern for Knitting Plurkers (or Plurking Knitters?) -- these are a size medium
Yarn: Kollage Luscious in Yella, 2 hanks with a few yards to spare
Needle: Well, that lovely KnitPicks Harmony 32" 2.5mm
Mods: Notice anything different about the sock on my left foot? The lace pattern biases a little (you can see it on the legs of both socks), and I figured if the feet were going to twist ever so slightly, I'd make them twist in opposite directions, so I reversed the lace pattern on the second sock to make them mirror images.

I love these socks! The pattern is great, and I think I have already mentioned how much I love this yarn.

Is That All?

Hmmm, I think it might be for now.

No comments: